Bolton and Barnstone
Preston Bolton and Howard Barnstone’s collaboration began in 1951 and lasted ten years. The partnership produced a series of rectilinear, flat-roofed houses in the manner of Philip Johnson and Mies van de Rohe that brought Bolton and Barnstone to national attention. These included the Gordon (1955), Moustier (1955), Farfel (1956), and Owsley (1961) houses in Houston, the Blum house in Beaumont (1954), and the Cook house in Friendswood (1959). Bolton and Barnstone won 16 design awards from the AIA Houston, Texas Society of Architects and Architectural Record magazine. Their work was frequently featured in national magazines.