2316 Harlem Street
This vintage modern home was recently rediscovered and refreshed in Houston’s historic Fifth Ward. The design is thought to be the work of the well-regarded architect John S. Chase. It was built in 1953 for Milton and Carrie Curtis in the Englewood neighborhood, near the Houston Ship Channel portion of Buffalo Bayou. Milton Curtis was associated with the International Longshoremen’s Association Local 872. John Chase designed ILA halls for several locals in the area, including Local 872 in 1956. The Curtis house was long a gathering place and symbol of pride for the neighborhood.