Neuhaus, Hugo Victor
Hugo V. Neuhaus, Jr. was born in Houston, Texas, on March 5, 1915. He was a graduate Yale College in 1938 and the Graduate School of Design, Harvard University in 1941. At Harvard, Neuhaus was a classmate of Philip Johnson. He served in the United States Army Air Force from 1941 to 1946, attaining the rank of major. Upon returning to Houston in 1946, Neuhaus worked briefly for the architect, Kenneth Franzheim and then entered the office of C. Herbert Cowell. He became Cowell’s partner in the firm Cowell and Neuhaus in 1949. Following its dissolution in 1962, he practiced with Magruder Wingfield, Jr., until 1967. From 1967 until his retirement in 1980, Neuhaus practiced under the name of Neuhaus Associates. He designed many homes including his own in River Oaks as well as commercial buildings. Neuhaus was chairman of the board of trustees of the Alley Theater, chairman of the Texas Commission on the Arts, a life-long trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, a member of the board of trustees of the Contemporary Arts Museum, the Armand Bayou Nature Center among many others. Neuhaus became a member of the American Institute of Architects in 1949 and was elected to fellowship in the institute in 1972. Neuhaus died in Houston on July 21, 1987, and is buried at Glenwood Cemetery.