Oak Forest Library
Oak Forest was established in 1947 by Oak Forest Realty Corporation. Owned by Frank Sharp, who would later establish Sharpstown, Oak Forest became one of the largest mid-century suburbs in America.
This modern library was designed by Goleman & Rolfe and built in 1960. It features walls of glass and a beautiful green mosaic tile striping on the front facade.
A current renovation and addition designed by James Ray Architects with Natalye Appel + Associates Architects and Architect Works, Inc. is scheduled to be completed by November 2010.
From a Memorial booklet printed by Golemon & Rolfe, Architects, 1967: `In February of 1946, Walter Rolfe and Albert Golemon formed the nucleus of one of the largest and most experienced architectural firms in the Southwest… A number of the Southwest`s most modern hospitals, churches and schools were designed by them. They reflect individuality and functional efficiency. Golemon & Rolfe was one of the first architectural firms to research and recommended the compact type, year-round air conditioned school building for more efficient teacher and pupil performance; Walter Rolfe was greatly responsible for the concept. The idea was accepted and acclaimed nationally.`
Walter Rolfe was Karl Kamrath`s studio professor at the University of Texas.