5306 Institute Lane, Jandor Gardens, Houston, TX 77005
Help us find new preservation-minded owners for these exceptional architect-designed vintage modern houses located about 3 and 11 miles southwest of downtown Houston. Noted architectural historian and Master Mod Stephen Fox will provide a brief talk at each house. Thanks to Houston MODern Market for sponsoring this FREE event. Join us Sunday, July 28, 2019 from 2-4 PM.
Indoor and outdoor opportunities abound in this well organized two-level house designed by architect C. Herbert Paseur, FAIA (1925-2007) in 1968 for his family. Many original features and finishes remain intact in the well situated museum-district vintage-modern house. The original floor plans will be available.
Glassman Shoemake Maldonado Architects (now GSMA) completed an award-winning renovation/restoration of the house in 2007. The Dean of the Rice School of Architecture and family later occupied the house.
Herb Paseur grew up in Memphis, Tennessee and graduated from Oklahoma A&M (now OSU) with degrees in Architecture and Engineering. Soon after he joined the architecture firm of Caudill Rowlett Scott which later went public and grew to national prominence. Paseur served as President and CEO from 1971 – 1981. The firm became the largest architecture/engineering/construction corporation in the USA. In 1994, the firm was sold to HOK.
This is the center unit of a complex of three spectacular townhouses built to explore the practicality and advantages of the residential use of steel for the 1969 National Association of Home Builders convention. The 40,000 event attendees were driven from the Astrodome to tour the three units. The units appear unusually spacious from the use of long spanning glass walls and high ceilings. The center unit has light wells connecting the first and second levels. Forty-five tons of steel were used in the three townhouses. Visit the Houston Mod website for a full description and floor plan of the complex.
Architects Fred Talbott Wilson, FAIA (1912-1988) and Hal Weatherford of Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson designed the complex. Wilson was from Houston and a 1935 graduate of the Rice Institute with a BS in Architecture degree. The Style in Steel Townhouses were designated in 2007 as a City of Houston Protected Landmark.