M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
MacKie & Kamrath, Houston’s best-known proponents of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Usonian architecture, designed the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute (1954, extensively altered) and the University of Texas Dental Branch Building (1954, currently scheduled to be demolished). Both were distinguished by their use of Georgia Etowah pink marble. In 1954, Time magazine dubbed the hospital the “Pink Palace of Healing” in a feature article on its architectural innovations, and in 1955 the building won a medal of honor from the Houston AIA.
Recognition: AIA Houston Medal of Honor